1. Dedication to work. Is the craftsman dedicated to his work? Finding a custom cabinet maker who is passionate about the work being done is one of the most important things to look for when finding a custom craftsman for your project.
2. Work ethic. What is the craftsman’s work ethic? Look for someone who will work hard on your project and treat it as if it were his very own. You don’t want someone to give you their second best when it comes to your cabinets!
3. Experience in the trade. Is the craftsman experienced? Ask to see previous projects and find out what others have said about them. See for yourself what kind of work he does! A good craftsman’s work will speak for itself.
4. Building methods. Does the cabinet maker utilize good building methods? Ask about his building methods, such as what they use to ensure your cabinets will last. Ask for a demonstration of the building methods, or visit his woodshop.
5. Quality materials. What kind of materials is the craftsman using in this trade? Make sure that the wood being used in the project is furniture quality and that methods such as quarter-sawing are being used.